Student projects (this page is evolving)
in the course ELG 5125 "Quality of Service Management
for Distributed Applications" (Fall 2005)
Proposed process for doing the course projects:
Important note: You are welcome to come for more meetings
with the professor to discuss the progress of your readings and to discuss
any questions you may have concerning the orientation of your literature
search and synthesis. You may contact him after the class, by phone or
- First two weeks of course: selection of topic to be studied,
determination of initial reading list (by the professor).
- Soon after (at most 2 week later): Meeting with the professor.
Informal presentation of results of initial reading; discussions to determine
the scope of the project; discussion to determine additional reading material,
- Every two weeks: Meeting with professor and discussion of
progress and difficulties.
- During the last three weeks of the term: Presentation to the
class (for about 30 minutes)
- At the end of the term: Written report (15 to 30 pages)
Here are some comments on the form and format of your
report. Please avoid
plagiarism (this is a MUST)
Some proposed projects (new)
- Differentiated quality in multicasting environments
(selected by Qiao Ying)
Overview of video distribution over the Internet:
paper by Hua et al. in the Proceedings of the IEEE, Sept. 2004,
"Video Delivery Technologies ...".
D. Tran, K. Hua and S. Sheu. Zigzag: An efficient
peer-to-peer scheme for media streaming. In IEEE INFOCOM, 2003.
- Yi Cui
and Klara Nahrstedt, Layered Peer-to-Peer Streaming, in
Proc. of 13th
International Workshop on Network and Operating Systems Support for Digital
Audio and Video (NOSSDAV 2003), Monterey, California, June, 2003.
- K. El-Khatib, G. v. Bochmann and Y. Zhong, Selecting the QoS
parameters for multicast applications based on user profile and device
capability, Proc. Int. Conf. on Interactive Distributed Multimedia Systems
(IDMS), Sept. 2001, Springer Verlag, pp. 221-232.
"Sago: a network resource management system for real-time
content distribution", Parallel and Distributed Systems, 2002.
Proceedings. Ninth International
Conference on 17-20 Dec. 2002 Page(s):557 - 562
- Server load sharing and charging for differentiated services (selected
paper to be presented at
Mascot conference 2003
- Nikolaos Vasiliou and H. Lutfiyya.
Managing a Differentiated Quality of Service in a World Wide Web Server
Integrated Network Management Volume VII, May 2001, pp.
- Nikolaos Vasiliou and Hanan Lutfiyya
``Providing a Differentiated Quality of Service in a World Wide Web
Appeared in Performance Evaluation Review (ACM Sigmetrics) ,
Volume 28, Number 2, pp. 22-27.
K. Shen, H. Tang, T. Yang, and L. Chu.
Integrated resource management for cluster-based internet services.
In Proceedings of the Fifth Symposium on Operating Systems Designand
Implementation, Boston, MA, Dec. 2002.
- Quality of service in ad-hoc networks (selected by Abbas Agane)
- Shigang Chen,
Klara Nahrstedt, Distributed Quality-of-Service Routing in Ad-Hoc
Networks, IEEE Journal on Special Areas in Communications, vol.
17, num. 8, pp. 1-18, August, 1999.
- You should find some
other papers on this topic
- QoS, congestion control and pricing in the context of the Internet (selected
Project presentation schedule (to be
Slides of project presentations (your
slides will be posted here)
Last updated: September 30, 2005