My work, although often abstract and intense, was much related to people - colleagues, students and research associates as well as support staff - and some of these people became my friends. My wife Elise took much part in these inter-personal relations.
These relations were often international, and I (we) did many trips to different parts of the world - and most of these trips where work related. For many of these trips, we have photos in our private collection. Here are some examples of influencial trips:
- 1977-78 : Visiting professor at EPFL (Lausanne). I went back there in 2005 and took some souvenir photos of the places we frequented in the 1970ies. See here.
- 1979-80 : Sabbatical year at Stanford University near San Francisco.
- 1980ies : Many trips to standardization meetings.
- 1985 : 6 weeks at NTT research lab in Tokyo followed by 3 weeks in China
- 1986-87 : Sabbatical year with Siemens in Munich.
- 1987 : Second trip to Japan.
- 1988 : Second trip to China.
- 1995 : Trip to Japan and China with our teen-age children
- 2002 : Two months at University of Osaka
- 2007 : Three weeks in Burkina Faso.
- 2009 : Two months on the campus of HUST in Xiangtan, China. Here are some photos of people we met.
Here is a collection of photos with a few explanations in the titles: